Friday, October 24, 2008

Mr. Obama: A Few Moments, Please





Barack Obama has occupied a lion's share of my thoughts these past few days. I've often said that I wish we conservatives had someone like him--someone whom inspires and rallies unprecedented support from every walk of life. While I've vocally disparaged his political and ethical positions, I have never doubted his sincerity. I truly believe that he believes what he says. By his own admission, he's no saint. But I get the sense that he's the type you could probably trust with a secret. Something tells me he's likely to keep his word when it's critical to do so. I'm especially impressed by his commitment to his family, which by every indication, is genuine and unwavering.






As of late, I've often thought about what I would say to Obama if given the chance. Forget about lottery fantasies. My windfall daydreams are all about having a good chat with Barry. You know--the guy. Not the politician. No reporters, no cameras. No calculated talking points or "gotcha" questions. I would, however, bring along a few photos--images that belie the Obama who has justly earned the scorn of conservative America. Here's how it would go...


***********************************************



Mr. Obama. Barack. My fellow American, my brother in Christ...


When I see these clear expressions of tenderness



and of whimsy



reflecting an unfeigned enjoyment of children....


I can only wonder why you have chosen to actively and staunchly support abortion. I ask this not in a rhetorical, argumentative way. I'm not asking for a well crafted, special-interest-group kind of answer. What I genuinely yearn to know is how a man of your intelligence, your empathy, and your compassion, can so obviously display concern for one young life...



and simultaneously reject the worthiness of another?




You've told us that determining the starting point for humanity is "above your pay grade". I'll trust that you simply fumbled with an unintentionally glib response in an attempt to distance yourself from the question that has become the political Achilles' heel of our time: When does life begin?


So, I humbly submit...If you, like so many others, are unsure when human life is deserved of full legal protection, might we agree that there is at least the possibility that our humanity begins at conception? As such, if there is even the slightest possibility that life does indeed begin long before a child leaves her mother's womb, wouldn't the most prudent course of action be determined by a willingness to err on the side of caution--in this case, on the side of life?


If not, help me understand, why not? Please. I've yet to hear a remotely convincing argument when I have posed the question in this manner. So, I hand it to you, Mr. Obama. I know you are capable of great reflection and intellect. I'm told you are a man of character. Please use these gifts when you respond. But first, do me a favor. Remove your presidential candidate armor. Base your answer in the courage you've mustered as a father. Root it in the respect you developed as a grandson. Couch your answer in language that honors the love you have known simply because you are your mother's child.


I can only hope, only pray, that the answer you now provide will reflect far more of the sentiment we see in your mother's loving gaze...






and much less of the political rhetoric we have come to expect...



May God bless you and inspire you to truly hear the pleas spoken on behalf of those with no voice at all.

2 comments:

joannaB73 said...

Hi Leigh, a very well written piece. I have no doubt that Barack Obama is a genuine person and family man and he has some good ideas for the economy and for peace but that perhaps he has been sitting on the political fence on this issue and not wanting to rock the boat in his career. What I have come to realise lately that as Catholics (and Christians) we have a duty and a responsibility for standing for the truth on sites like this and Facebook even if it is not as the world sees it - in many areas and not just this issue. It's quite hard because Obama is a younger candidate and for peace - so it must be a difficult decision for the voters. Do you vote for someone and then still campaign for pro-life as opposed to pro-choice and hope to change the legislation that way or vote with our conscience and campaign for peace. I would be interested to hear other people's views on the issue. Kind regards Joanna

FEMily! said...

Supporting abortion rights is not to say that embryos and fetuses are unworthy or meaningless. It's not to say that they're not people, if that's what you believe, because people can believe whatever they want. It's about supporting women, who are people capable of independent thought, ambition, and ability outside of pregnancy and childbirth.

Deciding what to do with a difficult or unintended pregnancy is gut-wrenching. Who the right person is to make that decision, the pregnant woman (with or without anyone's help) or a politician, is a no-brainer to me. Imagine if you were forced to have an abortion because some politicians or special-interest groups thought it was best for you. Imagine having to go to court to prove that you indeed could and should give birth and having to convince a judge that it's OK for you to give birth. You'd be devastated and humiliated, and that's exactly what women who have to jump through those kinds of hoops just to get access to a legal medical procedure feel.

I encourage you to watch this video of what happens to the women when fertilized eggs, embryos, and fetuses are given personhood. Those laws affect women who choose to give birth too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuC4gGSZ-yU